This post will introduce you with some common tips that you must check in your application before you give it for QA testing.These tips are very simple, short and general for any language (application).
User Interface Side
(1) Make sure that max limit is set for all the form fields and not more than the allowed size in the database table.
(2) Proper placeholder or instructions for the form fields are applied where required.
- Enter your First Name
- maximum file upload size is 2MB
- accepted file formats are .png , .jpeg , .gif
- enter the combination of chars and numbers
(3) Proper text wrapping is applied for displaying any field value on the page (in case of long values ).
(4) If you are allowing image upload, then make sure that
- Proper maximum file size is set.
- Allowed file types are defined.
- Images are being deleted on record deletion.
- Default image has been set if no image found (to display )
- Proper alt and title tag values are given.
(5) Check all the spells are correct. Mainly check for those texts that are highlighted, links or navigation.
(6) Proper messages are set for various actions like,
- success message
- error message
- warning message
- information message
(7) Your design is cross browser compatible.It would be better if its responsive.
(8) A well formed Error page, 404 page, No result found page is designed to be displayed when any error occurs.
(9) If you have implemented any ajax call then make sure that proper processing image or text like processing... or loading... is set that will be display until the ajax results load in the respective area.
(10) Proper redirections are set throughout the site.There must not be any wrong redirect.
(11) Proper validations applied on both the client and server side.
(1) Partition of application into public and restricted areas.Deployment of effective authentication and authorization rules.
(2) Form or parameters manipulations prevention.
(3) Make sure that your application is protected against all kind of Vulnerabilities like,
- Input Data attack
- Attacks done by adding malicious strings in query strings , cookies, form fields,or in HTTP headers.
- Command execution,
- Cross-site scripting (XSS)
- SQL injection
- Buffer overflow attacks.
(4) All the sessions are protected.For the safety you can encrypt them.
(5) Sensitive data protection.If you are passing any parameter that has very crucial part in the display of the page then make sure that you have encrypted the action name and parameters like id's in the url.
(6) Proper exceptions handling.
(7) The file system protection. User must not be able to see or to access the file structure by entering the path in the URL.
After following the above steps, and before giving your application to QA,
- Create a separate testing environment for the tester to test the application rather than main environment.So that any testing practice don't damage your application.
These all the tips were from my personal experience as a developer.I have written only those which comes to my mind while writing this article, i'll add others as and when i recall them.
If you like this article then please do share on social networks.You can like our facebook page to stay updated.
Keep visiting the blog.....